Brown Butter: Physical & Chemical Changes
Explore how food transforms through chemical and physical changes by making brown butter rice krispie treats.
3-7 class periods (can squeeze into 2)
active lab time:
- Identify and explore evidence of physical and chemical changes that occur when browning butter and making rice krispie treats
- Consider and model changes in the particles of butter during the process of browning butter (both physical and chemical changes)
- Understand the Maillard Reaction through the lens of Conservation of Matter
chemical changes, physical changes, phase changes, chemical reactions
- How does heat transform the flavor of butter?
- What physical and chemical changes occur when browning butter?
- Why do bubbles form when we brown butter?
how did it go?
We love hearing about how an activity went- the wins, the total fails, and the unexpected! Leave a comment in the box below and let us know how this activity went for you. We would love to know how you tinkered with it below in the comments and upload a picture or video of your results.
Curious to see how the activity went with our activity testers? Take a look to see in our video & photo gallery.