Caramel Apples: Chemical Changes
Explore chemical changes and decomposition reactions by caramelizing sugar and making caramel.
2-6 class periods
active lab time:
- Explain how sugar changes during caramelization from a macro- and micro-level
- Identify chemical and physical changes in making caramel and explain why they occur
- Explore how candymakers can change and measure caramel texture
chemical changes, chemical reactions, physical changes
- How do sugar and dairy transform in the process of making caramel?
- What chemical and physical changes occur when making caramel?
- What impacts the texture of caramel and how do candy scientists study texture?
get the lesson
We are currently figuring out the best way to distribute our lessons. Please bear with us! For now, we have two options. Our Teachers Pay Teachers (TPT) storefront is great to get a copy of the folder immediately in your Google Drive. Otherwise, download with us and you'll get a link to the Google Drive folder. You can then copy the files yourself.
If you have a TeachersPayTeachers account, this is a great option.
If you are participating in a workshop with us or have a coupon, this is the way to go!
how did it go?
We love hearing about how an activity went- the wins, the total fails, and the unexpected! Leave a comment in the box below and let us know how this activity went for you. We would love to know how you tinkered with it below in the comments and upload a picture or video of your results.
Curious to see how the activity went with our activity testers? Take a look to see in our video & photo gallery.