Kimchi: Ecosystems and Microbes
Students will learn about ecosystems, microbes, and fermentation by making a traditional Korean food, kimchi.
2-3 class periods
active lab time:
- Learn how microbes help make kimchi.
- Describe what environment microbes need to ferment and live in kimchi.
- Identify and explain evidence of healthy fermentation.
microbes, fermentation, cycling of matter, ecosystems
- How do microbes make kimchi?
- How does the cabbage in kimchi transform over time due to fermentation?
- What type of environment is needed to help microbes make kimchi?
all materials are downloaded from TeachersPayTeachers.
how did it go?
We love hearing about how an activity went- the wins, the total fails, and the unexpected! Leave a comment in the box below and let us know how this activity went for you. We would love to know how you tinkered with it below in the comments and upload a picture or video of your results.
Curious to see how the activity went with our activity testers? Take a look to see in our video & photo gallery.