Oyster Farming: Sustainable Ecosystems
Explore oyster farming to investigate the relationship between aquaculture and our planet and learn about the ecosystem services provided by shellfish.
3-7 class periods
active lab time:
- Explore what aquaculture is and consider its environmental and social implications
- Explain the benefits of oyster farming and describe the ecosystem services oysters provide
- Explain how climate change (primarily ocean acidification) is impacting shellfish
ecosystems, sustainability, ecology, environmental science
- Where and how do we get seafood and why does it matter?
- Why are oysters beneficial for aquatic ecosystems?
- How is the ocean changing? How can oysters help and how can we help oysters?
how did it go?
We love hearing about how an activity went- the wins, the total fails, and the unexpected! Leave a comment in the box below and let us know how this activity went for you. We would love to know how you tinkered with it below in the comments and upload a picture or video of your results.
Curious to see how the activity went with our activity testers? Take a look to see in our video & photo gallery.