Pancakes & Baking Soda: Chemical Reactions
Explore how baking soda works by mixing it with different substances and tinkering with a pancake recipe.
2-6 class periods
active lab time:
- Identify what baking soda reacts with and evidence of a reaction
- Explain why baking soda is used in foods
- Explore factors that impact baking soda in recipes
- Explain the difference between baking powder and baking soda
chemical changes, chemical reactions
- How does baking soda work?
- Why do we use baking soda in recipes?
- What factors impact how baking soda works?
- What is baking powder and how is it different than baking soda?
get the lesson
We are currently figuring out the best way to distribute our lessons. Please bear with us! For now, we have two options. Our Teachers Pay Teachers (TPT) storefront is great to get a copy of the folder immediately in your Google Drive. Otherwise, download with us and you'll get a link to the Google Drive folder. You can then copy the files yourself.
If you have a TeachersPayTeachers account, this is a great option.
If you are participating in a workshop with us or have a coupon, this is the way to go!
how did it go?
We love hearing about how an activity went- the wins, the total fails, and the unexpected! Leave a comment in the box below and let us know how this activity went for you. We would love to know how you tinkered with it below in the comments and upload a picture or video of your results.
Curious to see how the activity went with our activity testers? Take a look to see in our video & photo gallery.