Pancakes & Baking Soda: Chemical Reactions
Students will explore the chemical reaction behind baking soda in pancakes and why measurements matter in chemical reactions.
2 class periods
active lab time:
- Explain what baking soda is and how it works
- Identify baking soda’s role in foods
- Write out the chemical reaction between baking soda and vinegar using chemical formulas
chemical changes, chemical reactions
- What is baking soda chemically?
- Why do we use baking soda when cooking and baking?
- What other ingredients are needed for baking soda to do its job?
all materials are downloaded from TeachersPayTeachers.
how did it go?
We love hearing about how an activity went- the wins, the total fails, and the unexpected! Leave a comment in the box below and let us know how this activity went for you. We would love to know how you tinkered with it below in the comments and upload a picture or video of your results.
Curious to see how the activity went with our activity testers? Take a look to see in our video & photo gallery.