PBL Unit: Kombucha (Parts 1-3)
Students will explore a variety of concepts related to kombucha through a 3-Part Series.
16 class periods
active lab time:
- Explain how kombucha is made using concepts of metabolic reactions (fermentation), microbial diversity, ecosystems and symbiosis
- Explain how kombucha becomes carbonated (both the actual process and on a particulate-level)
- Use learned concepts to explore kombucha in a way that is personally meaningful and interesting
microbes, fermentation, cycling of matter, ecosystems, gas, pressure
- How is kombucha made and carbonated?
- What occurs as the kombucha ferments and why?
- How can we design an experiment to explore how factors impact the kombucha process and product?
how did it go?
We love hearing about how an activity went- the wins, the total fails, and the unexpected! Leave a comment in the box below and let us know how this activity went for you. We would love to know how you tinkered with it below in the comments and upload a picture or video of your results.
Curious to see how the activity went with our activity testers? Take a look to see in our video & photo gallery.